Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs Antonio Tajani announced the approval by the Council of Ministers on the list of “safe countries”, including Egypt, Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia.
Tajani confirmed at a press conference last Friday that the report “shows no other substantial change or difference from last year”.
Tajani added that the decision “will be subject to the Italian Parliament for study and approval”, without providing additional details.
In another context, Tommaso Foti, Italian Minister of European Affairs, said that he had discussed with Magnus Brunner, the European commissioner responsible for migration and asylum, means of strengthening European migration cooperation.
He said Italy supported “the creation of an effective European system to return irregular migrants to their countries of origin”, welcoming the Italian-Albanian agreement as a model to follow. He also called for “the possibility of returning migrants to safe third countries, and at the opening of common European centers” to deal with the question of migration in a coordinated manner.
Italy welcomes a large number of refugees from countries that Rome ranks among the “safe countries”, in preparation for the refugees from these countries to their origins.